Friday, January 15, 2010

New Job, New Dedication

I don't know how people stay in a job forever that they don't like....it makes no sense to me. I love changing jobs, I end up feeling the way about the job that I do at the beginning of every job. The desire to do the best you can to succeed.

So Monday I started the Emergency Dispatcher job (aka 911 operator). I drove down to SLC for orientation. We went over policies and procedures and got an ear mold done for my headset, and enrolled for our insurance and such. Coverage is immediate with that, and it is about $30 a month for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Got my ID cards stating that I am a State employee. Also got fitted for my uniforms. I even get to wear a badge. The down side is that the fellow measured for my pants without shoes on......I really really really hope they aren't too short when I get them.

Tuesday, this day was full of lots of reading, and lots of meetings. I met a lot of people that I would sort of be working with. We share a building with the Sheriff's Office and with the county jail. Today there was also a high speed chase that I got to listen to, that was pretty sweet. Doesn't happen very often, guess I bring a bit of good luck with me.

Wednesday, read a lot more, lots and lots of Policies and Procedures, the ones that normally take 2 days to get through, I made it through in about half a day. I got a tour of the jail, that was really cool. I got to meet Kosmo, one of the K-9 officers (a rottweiler). If I want I can get lunch everyday while there (if not graveyard, or swing) for free, just call the jail and ask them to bring it down. Full of calories but good, and probably healthier than what we are eating at home because we can't afford to.

Thursday, met more people, got to get more used to the programs we use. I even got to put information live into the program we use. That was pretty cool. Entered a warrant, and other stuff into the database used by lots of people. I also got to hear a lot of pretty sweet old calls that the center had recieved. No wonder free counseling is offered. Some of these calls are really intense. I also got to watch a couple chases recorded by the dash cam on police cars, that was pretty sweet too.

Friday (aka today) Slept in till 1:15pm. Went Visiting Teaching, went to the DI and now probably going to work out to P90X here in just a bit.........

Not as lonely anymore, I think it was one of those few day blues......it got a bit better.....

1 comment:

  1. so happy you're loving your job. i'm thrilled for you!!!

    ReplyDelete