Monday, February 7, 2011

I don't know who you think you are, but I know who I am

Dr. Hechtman,



I am excited for the opportunity I have to be able to give birth to my first child. I am grateful that you and the other doctors in this practice are willing to be a part of it as well. As this is my first experience with child bearing and pregnancy all together, I suppose you could say, I am ignorant to the happenings of such things. Though I am not an idiot and can tell what is happening, I feel as though a lot of what to expect should be given by my doctor. There is a great possibility that my expectations are way outside of the realm of reality, I feel as though perhaps an explanation of practice protocol or such is not.

Today was the first day that I have met you. I understand that there are many doctors that work with you who also share the probability of delivering our first child. But I also want you to know that you were highly recommended (you personally) by my cousin who had a wonderful experience with your practice. I understand the need or desire to rotate through doctors in my visits, that way I may meet the many people who may deliver my baby. I also understand that I am not the only patient that exists in your clinic. However, I feel as though almost every time I have been to the office I have been rushed out. I feel as though a 30 second visit with questions answered on the way out the door is not the way to build a patient/doctor relationship of trust. Especially when it comes to delivering a baby, a cold is a different matter.

I realize that what is done in your office is routine. It is an every day occurrence to deliver a baby. It is an every day occurrence to have patients with no problems during pregnancy to come in and out of the office. I also realize that for me it is not an every day occurrence. For me this is a first time experience and that delivering a child that belongs to my husband and I is not only a special experience, but also a sacred one. I am some what disappointed that such an important part of life is handled with such hustled attitude.

I also feel as though I am justified in the way that I feel. In being so justified I feel that when my doctor tells me that I am hormonal and pregnant, and that I am "way over reacting" to such is un-called for. I feel as though your attitude of needing to solve the problem has hindered your ability to listen to actually figure out what the problem is in order to solve it. I want you to know that my concern is not with the medical competency of you and your fellow compatriots, but it is with the bed side manner. I do appreciate you not seeming rushed with me today and your attempt to squash my concerns, and I also appreciate you sending in your office manager to help truly squash my concerns.

I appreciated the fact the Karen actually listen and related to my concerns. She was able to answer many questions that I didn't know I had especially since I am a first time mother. She put herself in my shoes and was willing to help me find the questions that I had but didn't know how to ask. I am at 36 weeks, and at this point I am capable of going into labor any minute, with or without warning. I am fully aware of that, and yet I felt as though I wouldn't know what to do if I did go into labor (besides the obvious of going to the hospital). I am grateful that Karen gave me an idea of things I can do to prepare for the unknown. She also gave me suggestions of what to do if I were to go into labor at work, considering I work 1.5 hours from the hospital I am expected to deliver at.

Again I am excited for the opportunity to have my child delivered by your medically competent staff, though I have yet to build the trust that I would like to have. I am grateful that you attempted to resolve my concern but more so that you sent in your office manager who truly resolved my concern with the labor and delivery. About 4 more weeks of me, perhaps slightly more, then postpartum visit, and you will no longer have to attempt to be nice or un-rushed when in my presence.



Sincerely,

A first time mother

No comments:

Post a Comment