Saturday, January 1, 2011

First item of business

The first thing I did on my new sewing machine was fix up the sleeve on my GSU sweater, the second thing was make the carrier canopy that I have always wanted...since I saw a really cute one in UT. I knew I wanted it reversible, but not with straps sewed to both sides, I only wanted them on one side. My sewing machine comes with 50 different stitches, one of them being button holes. That is how I got the following picture, and there is one on either side of the strap so that the straps can be fed through to the other side of the canopy.

I stitched both sides of fabric together inside out with the regular straight stitch, then ironed it and used a top stitch to close up the little bit left open to flip the fabric (sure it could have been done a bit more professionally but I was cool with what I did). Then around the border I used the cool leaf stitch option on my sewing machine with some multi-colored green thread I bought for that purpose.

Since I had to put Velcro on both sides of the straps, I could have used snaps but opted for Velcro, I wanted something to hide the ugly white Velcro on the top of the strap. I used my sewing machine again to sew on the dragonfly button to a piece of Velcro to put on top (on either side of the canopy).

Here you can see both sides of the canopy. This is way cute fabric, and it was the cutest that I could get for 5 bucks a yard as opposed to 8 bucks a yard which all the other way cute ones were.
Finished product....see this turns our unisex carrier (in case our next kid is hopefully a boy) into a gender specific carrier.
And that was the first item of business...

No comments:

Post a Comment